HISTORY OF THE GLEN PARK
While a lot has changed over the years, the Glen Park Community Hall still stands strong today and continues to be actively used by residents in the Leduc County. Weddings, anniversaries and farmers
markets are commonplace activities at the Glen Park Hall bringing the community together year after year.
The hall is a integral part of Leduc County and we are proud to support such a beautiful facility that has a long lasting legacy of community spirit.
The Glen Park Hall would not have survived and continued to thrive for so long without the continuous help and generosity from volunteers in the community. Many volunteers put in countless hours of work to keep the facility running. Without them, the hall would not be standing today. This is an example of true community spirit and pride.
The Glen Park Community Hall has a rich history spanning almost a century. This is something to rejoice in and be proud of. The community is grateful for its ability to bring joy, foster community spirit, and provide recreation opportunities for our residents and visitors. It will continue to be used for many years to come.
The designer and builder was Stuart Olson of Edmonton. The pine logs were brought from the C.P.R. and hewn on section 15 at the west end of Pigeon Lake. They had to be cut during the months of March and April in order to be hauled by horses and sleighs to Buford (Glen Park), before spring break-up. Some of the logs were first hauled to Carl Johnsons saw mill, west of Crystal Springs on Pigeon Lake, to be sawed in halves for the rafters. Others were hauled to Alvin Bensons mill at Warburg to be sawn into lumber.
A shingle mill was erected on the John Eklund farm adjacent to the hall. All the shingles for the hall were made by John Eklund, his sons and their neighbours. As well, Jojn Eklund being a superb black smith, made and donated the rough hardware, like bolts, etc. Stones for the foundation were hauled from Victor Forsberge's farm.
Volunteers then came back and peeled the logs in early spring because at that time of the year the bark is easier to remove. So as to get an early start on the foundation the ground had to be thawed. They continued to work with and under the direction of Stuart Olson and his tradesman, gradually shaping and creating a monument that would make their community proud. During the weekends there would be as many as 100 men, women and children volunteering and helping out. The ladies brought free lunch for the volunteers. All were anxious to have the hall finished before their sports day. It was reported that the total outlay for building materials was less than $800.00.
On August 9th, 1933, the Grand Opening of the Buford Hall (Glen Park Hall) and Sports Day was attended by a packed hall of jubilant revelers. Dixon's Orchestra supplied the music.
THE NEXT 75 YEARS
The hard wood, Birds Eye Maple, dance floor was laid in 1936.
The Glen Park Community Association was incorporated under the Business Corporations Act (Alberta Societies Act) on February 14 1948.
On January 22 1948, $300.00 was paid to Edwin Anderson for ball grounds, rent was paid to Mrs. L.O. Anderson until 1948. The title for the land was $38.00.
From 1933 until 1938 light was supplied by gas lamps. From 1938 until 1952 a 32 volt light plant supplied power. In 1952, Calgary Power was installed. the wiring was done in May by Acme Electric of Edmonton. Buford Vasa Lodge held many meetings and functions at the hall and in appreciations helped finance Calgary Power.
In 1964 a kitchen was built on to the outside of the south-west corner of the hall. An electric stove was bought on December 14, 1964 from Steve Manchak.
On May 14th,1968 natural gas was installed with a down payment of $50.00. The first furnace was installed replacing the old heater. A gas stove replaced the wood cook stove that was bought from John Eklund in 1940 for $40.00.
In 1965 the rustic antique heater stove was put on display beside the stage at the front of the hall. It was originally used in the Conjuring Creek School. In 1949, the school and stove were moved to Lake Center. After the school closed the stove was moved to the hall.
The Glen Park Hall direction sign, on Highway 39 was first mentioned in the minutes on January 4th, 1967. It took several years before it was approved and erected at the right intersection, having first been out up at the Buford corner by mistake.
July 30 and 31. 1983 a very successful 50th. anniversary was held
In 1984, the hall took on a completely new look with a large renovation. A 30X30 foot addition was built onto the north end of the hall to house a new kitchen, wash rooms, utilities and storage room. A new well was drilled to supply hot and cold running water. The old kitchen was removed, new doors and larger windows and two new furnaces were installed. The outside was refinished complete with concrete sidewalks.
During the mid to late 1990,s the hall achieved a national TV notoriety when it was used as one of the buildings in several shootings of the TV series "Jake And The Kid".
On April 16, 1994 a 60th. anniversary was held
For the past 77 years the hall has been a nucleus for the community. Many showers. stags, weddings, anniversaries, reunions, funerals, meetings, whist drives, smorgasbords, socials, dances, sports days and ball tournaments have been held though out the years. Kulm/Buford/Glen Park have been able to produce numerous champion sports teams.